Pages

July 23, 2012

False Identities

I have played a variety of roles throughout my life, sometimes on an actual stage and others wearing the makeup and costuming of insecurity and group identity. Insecurity is a hot topic for me. I grew up as a perfectionist only child with performance-based values. I had terrific parents who loved me and raised me well, but we are each born into this world fatally flawed. No combination of conscientious parenting, enriching education, or stable developmental environments will produce a person free of major, life-ruining flaws. That seems like quite the despairing world view, and it is...apart from Christ crucified. More on that in a minute.

My mom had a saying that she faithfully pounded into my memory during my teenaged years: "Comparison is the root of all inferiority." The statement is simple yet profound. I'm performance-oriented, remember, so often I find my self-worth in how well I achieve goals or how consistently I impress certain people. I don't want to be mediocre at anything. I want to be a crazy inspirational teacher, a ridiculously talented singer, an impeccable wife, the most thoughtful friend. I strive with all my might to be these things, to play these roles if you will, and I inevitably fail. You see, there will always be someone who teaches with more passion and expertise than I do, someone whose voice far surpasses mine, someone who puts my wifeliness to shame, someone who is naturally a better friend to others than I could ever hope to be. My hope cannot be placed in these things. My self-worth cannot hinge on my ability to perform well. If I live my life this way, I am constantly submitting myself to insecurity and heartache. There has to be more to who I am than these unachievable and false identities.

Thankfully, there is so much more to who I am. But it's not because of anything I've done, am capable of doing, or will do. The only beautiful thing about me is my identity as a daughter of God. I am valuable because He chose to give me worth. The creator of the universe, my creator and yours, condescended to earth and took on the full weight of our sin. He took all of our false identities, all of the things of this world that entice and then disappoint, and nailed them to a cross. Jesus crucified my wretched nature when He gave His life in place of mine. He rose from the grave, giving all of humanity  the right to choose life in Him. We now have a right to all of the good gifts of God because we are brothers and sisters with Christ. We are God's children and have a perfect inheritance in Him. 

What does this new identity mean for my day to day life? It means that the Father won't judge me because He already punished Jesus in my place. It means that God delights in me as a father does his beloved child. It means that nothing broken in me is unfixable through the power of the Holy Spirit. It means I don't have to perform. I can stop trying so hard to impress. I can stop comparing myself to people who have what I think I want. It means I am free.

I will never be perfect this side of heaven, and insecurity will rear its hideous head at me when it senses my moments of weakness. My prayer for myself, and for you, is that in these moments the Spirit will remind us who we truly are. Lord, strip away these false identities I masquerade in. Remind me who I am when I take off my worldly trappings. Keep insecurity in any area of my life from gaining a stronghold in my thoughts. It's in You alone that real rest and security are found. I've tasted the sweetness of that and I want always to hunger for Your acceptance - which is already mine. Thank You.

For those of you who like practical application, here is a prayer crafted by my pastor, J.D. Greear, in his recent book "Gospel." It's simple, Biblical, and true. I encourage you to make it a part of your regular prayer time, or to start with this prayer as a model if you're uncomfortable praying on your own. As always, hit me up if you want to discuss this topic further, and leave a comment if you have Scripture verses or ideas of your own to share.

The Gospel Prayer
In Christ, there is nothing I could do to make You love me more; nothing I have done that makes You love me less.
You are all I need today for everlasting joy.
As You have been to me, so I will be to others.
As I pray, I'll measure Your compassion by the cross and Your power by the resurrection.


 




No comments:

Post a Comment